[Pdns-users] Help!?

Steve Bromwich lists at fop.ns.ca
Thu Apr 24 20:21:46 UTC 2003

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Vinicius Correa - Plug In Internet Corporativa wrote:

> What I want is to use DJBDNS just as dns cache and PowerDNS as
> nameserver in the same machine.

I use yaku-ns (http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez/ens.html) instead of djbdns,
but otherwise my config is the same. You need to use the local-address
option in pdns to bind to your external interface, and configure djbdns to
bind to the internal interface.

You can permit recursing through powerdns with the allow-recursion
parameter if you don't want to run multiple pieces of DNS software.

Relevant parts from
http://downloads.powerdns.com/documentation/html/all-settings.html:

local-address=...

    Local IP address to which we bind. You can specify multiple addresses
separated by commas or whitespace. It is highly advised to bind to
specific interfaces and not use the default 'bind to any'. This causes big
problems if you have multiple IP addresses. Unix does not provide a way of
figuring out what IP address a packet was sent to when binding to any.

allow-recursion=...

    By specifying allow-recursion, recursion can be restricted to netmasks
specified. The default is to allow recursion from everywhere. Example:
allow-recursion=192.168.0.0/24, 10.0.0.0/8, 1.2.3.4.

Cheers, Steve