[Pdns-users] Performance?

Dan Durrer dan at vitalwerks.com
Thu Apr 3 23:26:42 UTC 2003

Hello,

We are considering using PowerDNS for a service we offer.  Currently we
are using BIND 9.  My question is just how well does this software
perform under heavy load?  Are we going to run into MySQL limitations?
We heavily use the dynamic update feature of bind.  Processing roughly
300/updates a minute.  Our primary dns server answers about 480
queries/sec.  One big concern I have with BIND is that after it has been
running for a few hours it can take up to 15 minutes to completely shut
down, due to all the journal files that get synced.

Anyone out there care to share there experiences with powerDNS and it
ability to handle high traffic?  Additionally does MySQL replication
master/slave scenario use more or less bandwidth than a bind IXFR based
system?

Thank you,
Dan