[Pdns-dev] First Release Candidate for Authoritative Server 4.4.0

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at powerdns.com
Mon Dec 7 10:16:55 UTC 2020

Hello!

This is the first Release Candidate for version 4.4.0 of the
Authoritative Server. If no trouble surfaces, we will release the
actual 4.4.0 within a few weeks.

This release drops GSS/TSIG support, please see PowerDNS Security
Advisory 2020-06 <
https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/security-advisories/powerdns-advisory-2020-06.html
>.

Version 4.4.0 brings a bunch of exciting changes:

* the LMDB backend now supports long record content, making it
production ready for everybody
* the SVCB and HTTPS record types are supported, with limited
additional processing
* transaction handling in the 2136 handler and the HTTP API was again
improved a lot, avoiding various spurious issues users may have noticed
if they do a lot of changes
* a new setting (consistent-backends) offers a roughly 30% speedup,
subject to conditions
* we finally emit Prometheus metrics!

Authoritative 4.3.x was the last release branch with support for
CentOS/RHEL 6. Problems running Authoritative 4.4.x on CentOS/RHEL 6
will not be treated as bugs by us.

We want to specifically thank Robin Geuze, Kees Monshouwer, Mischan
Toosarani-Hausberger, Chris Hofstaedtler, and Kevin Fleming for their
contributions to this release. We are also grateful to all other
reporters of bugs, issues, feature requests, and submitters of smaller
fixes and features.

Please make sure to read the Upgrade Notes before upgrading. <
https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/upgrading.html >

The tarball <
https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-4.4.0-rc1.tar.bz2>
(signature <
https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-4.4.0-rc1.tar.bz2.sig>;)
is available at downloads.powerdns.com and packages for CentOS 7 and 8,
Debian Stretch and Buster, Ubuntu Xenial, Bionic and Focal are
available from repo.powerdns.com.

Please send us all feedback and issues you might have via the mailing
list, or in case of a bug, via GitHub.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk