[Pdns-dev] dnsdist and DoH

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Wed Jun 12 10:14:54 UTC 2019

Hi!

On 6/12/19 11:58 AM, Pieter Lexis wrote:
>> hmmm ... maybe it is not compiled in?
>
> `dnsdist --version` should show whether or not DoH support is available.
>
>>> showDOHFrontends()
>> DNS over HTTPS support is not present!
>>

>> I followed the ubuntu 16.04 dnsdist to install dnsdist
>
> Ubuntu 16.04 does not have libwslay (a dependency of libh2o)
> and hence no DoH is available there. Please switch to a more modern
> Ubuntu (like 18.04) to get DoH. Or compile libh2o and any missing
> dependencies for 16.04 yourself to get DoH working.
>
>> Definitely is the correct config file.
>
> `addDOHLocal` should log "DNS over HTTPS support is not present!" when
> starting dnsdist when this support is not present.

Once [1] is merged dnsdist will refuse to start if you ask for DoT or
DoH and it has not been compiled in. It will also be properly reported
when run with --check.
The current behavior was not helpful at all, sorry about that!

[1]: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/7915

Best regards,
--
Remi Gacogne