[Pdns-dev] pdns git head fail to build with boost 1.52

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Jan 10 21:23:32 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 07:58:07PM +0100, a b wrote:
> In my experience, Boost is one of the biggest obstacles in getting pdns to build.
> With that in mind, I propose to completely disengage pdns from any and all Boost libraries in order to remove it as a dependency.

Hi 'a b',

While I agree that on some platforms boost causes problems, the majority of
PowerDNS users run on platforms on which there is either no problem of
compiling, or they use packaged versions of PowerDNS.

Once Boost is installed we rarely see version specific issues. The issue
this thread is about has little to do with boost 1.52 for example but more
with finding the actual library.

We rely on important parts of boost that we would not be able to maintain or
reproduce ourself.

Sorry.

	Bert
--