[Pdns-dev] pdns git head fail to build with boost 1.52

a b tripivceta at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 10 19:58:07 CET 2013

> I have done the same to run some tests. It appears boost.m4 is not very good and has trouble dealing with Boost in a separate dir, especially if there is also a system wide version. I have no useful advice to offer, other than checking whether your distribution will give you 1.34 or up and using that.

Historically, Boost C++ libraries have been very troublesome to build, and the libraries themselves have been highly volatile in terms of interface stability and forward / backward compatibility.

In my experience, Boost is one of the biggest obstacles in getting pdns to build.

With that in mind, I propose to completely disengage pdns from any and all Boost libraries in order to remove it as a dependency. As you can see for yourself, as long as pdns depends on Boost, you will have to play constant catch-up/fix-up or risk having no upgrade path, just because API/ABI compatibility is science fiction for the Boost project. I call into question Boost developers' prowess if they are unable to design libraries and interfaces which are compatible with themselves.