[Pdns-dev] Compiling a custom backend

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Tue Jan 31 22:06:12 CET 2012

Hello Erik,

On Jan 31, 2012, at 19:34 , erik at muttersbach.net wrote:

> I would like to develop a custom backend that uses a HTTP rest service for resolving requests. So far I have made the following customizations in the source code, checked out from SVN:
>
> 1. In configure.ac I changed the line modules="gmysql geo" to modules="gmysql geo rest"
> 2. I created a new folder under modules called restbackend with two source files: restbackend.cc (http://pastebin.com/CmFhVJP4) and restbackend.hh (http://pastebin.com/G1aDGRHt) and empty file OBJECTLIBS a file OBJECTFILES with the content "restbackend.o".
>
> Running ./bootstrap, ./configure and then make works well. Unfortunately the command ./pdns/pdns_server --launch=rest will fail with the following message:
>
> Whats wrong or missing here?

Just some quick notes from my limited experiences in working on the tinydnsbackend:
- unless you 'make install', you will have to do something like --load-modules=./modules/tinydnsbackend/.libs/libtinydnsbackend.so in addition to the --launch
- i believe https://github.com/Habbie/powerdns/commit/264fa3874048f57e7296f981571216c25b2af174 contains all the changes i had to make to get the backend to compile and load

I hope this helps; do not hesitate to ask more questions!

Kind regards,
Peter van Dijk