[Pdns-dev] ecdsa256 keys bug

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Wed Feb 1 16:25:02 CET 2012

Hello James,

On Jan 27, 2012, at 12:35 , James Cloos wrote:

> After:
>
>  :; pdnssec add-zone-key example.net zsk ecdsa256
>
> I get:
>
>  :; pdnssec show-zone example.net
>
>  Zone has hashed NSEC3 semantics, configuration: 1 1 1 ab
>  Zone is not presigned
>  keys:
>  ... [ previous keys elided ] ...
>  ID = 888 (ZSK), tag = 8888, algo = 8, bits = 256        Active: 0
>
> and:
>
>  :; dig @localhost example.net. dnskey +tcp
>  ... [ other data elided ] ...
>  example.net.           3600    IN      DNSKEY  256 3 8 AAA=
>
> (I've confirmed that the dig results I elided match the previous ksk
> and zsk keys I also elided.  Those previous keys are algo=8 and are
> reported correcly as such.)
>
> (The ID, tag and name were changed to protect the innocent. :)

I've tried to reproduce your issue using the current SVN version of PowerDNS, and while I've run into a few minor glitches, I see nothing that looks like your problem. The weirdest thing about your report is the 'algo=8' (which is also the '8' in the DNSKEY response) - algorithm 8 is RSA/SHA256; ecdsa256 is algorithm 13. Are you sure you're looking at this right?

Kind regards,
Peter van Dijk