[Pdns-dev] Qtype SOA issues

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Fri Dec 7 07:40:04 CET 2012

Hello Ilya,

On Dec 7, 2012, at 5:44 , Ilya Larkin wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> But i still don't understand one thing...pdns-3.1:
>

> Is 'qtype' in the lookup function and the DNSPacket::qtype should be the same? From the log file i see they are not. Or 'qtype' in the lookup function has a different purpose?

qtype in lookup, and DNSPacket::qtype, are rarely the same. Asking a backend for a specific Qtype, in the current PowerDNS backend interface design, would cause it to miss out on information - most importantly the difference between 'no records for this name+type' and 'name does not exist'.

Perhaps this will change in the future, but don't hold your breath. And even if it does change, you will still be required to handle all queries we can throw at your backend!

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/