[Pdns-dev] [Pdns-users] Question regarding PDNS testing

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Wed Aug 22 10:56:57 CEST 2012

Hello Seema,

On Aug 21, 2012, at 7:50 , Seema Datar wrote:

> I am trying to write the backend implementation for PDNS 3.1. I have implemented the 4 methods – list, get, getSOA and lookup.  The lookup implementation I could test using the dig command on my pdns installation. However, I had a question on how I can test the getSOA, list and get implementations without writing unit tests for them. Will they get invoked on providing certain dig options?

getSOA is invoked before lookup - because DNS and thus PowerDNS needs a SOA to even consider a domain as working.

get is invoked after lookup - it is get that provides the actual content. If you are seeing results from dig, presumably getSOA, lookup and get all work.

As for list, it is invoked for auto serial support if your getSOA does not return a serial. It is also invoked for AXFR ('dig AXFR example.com @127.0.0.1).

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk