[Pdns-dev] pipe-timeout is implemented in seconds, not milliseconds as claimed

John Leach john at brightbox.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 01:55:57 CEST 2012

Hi all,

the docs and the code claims that the pipe-timeout option is set in
milliseconds (and defaults to 1000) but CoProcess::receive uses the
timeout value directly in a timeval struct as seconds (and I've tested
too :)

I'm not sure what the best thing to do here is. Probably fix it so it
converts the argument given in milliseconds to seconds and microseconds
(in the a timeval). But fixing this bug will almost definitely change
the default behaviour of powerdns (in particular, our own configs now
have timeouts declared in seconds :)

Perhaps fix the bug, but warn or reject timeouts that work out to be
less than, say, 100ms or something? That would alert anyone who worked
around this to the fact powerdns is now interpreting the config as
milliseconds and not seconds).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John.