[Pdns-dev] goracle backend documentation

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Thu Apr 19 15:11:44 CEST 2012

Hello,

On Apr 16, 2012, at 20:43 , a b wrote:

> There seem to be no concrete examples on how to use the "goracle" backend in the documentation, just this one pasus:
>
> "Furthermore, use the goracle-tnsname setting to specify which TNSNAME the Generic Oracle Backend
> 	  should be connecting to. There are no goracle-dbname, goracle-host or
>          goracle-port settings, their equivalent is in /etc/tnsnames.ora."
>
> The problem is that "tnsnames.ora" on our systems is in a different location, and "TNSNAME" is not a variable Oracle pays attention to. How does configure "goracle" backend to use the correct "tnsnames.ora"?
>
> Can anyone provide any working examples how to do this?

Passing on some hints from an expert (I have not tried!):

"""
Okay, so Oracle takes a "connect string" instead of host/port/whatever. This string is resolved through something called TNS and then it knows what to connect to.
So what you need to do is set this string, user and password, and make sure pdns runs in a context where TNS works. Which usually means setting ORACLE_HOME, done.
TNSNAME is not meant to be an environment variable, it's just capitalized for no reason there.
"""

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
--