[Pdns-dev] Book covering PowerDNS Available + RFC

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Jan 27 23:35:12 CET 2009

Hi everybody,

There is even more important news than the 2.9.22 release! First a book,
second an RFC.

Book
----
Jan-Piet Mens has written a book called 'Alternative DNS Servers: Choice and
Deployment, and Optional SQL/LDAP Back Ends'. Jan-Piet asked Norbert
Sendetzky and me to proofread the PowerDNS chapters, but at least I did not
need to change a lot.

In fact, I actually learned a few new things about PowerDNS from this book!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alternative-DNS-Servers-Deployment-Optional/dp/0954452992
http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-DNS-Servers-Deployment-Back-Ends/dp/0954452992
http://blog.fupps.com/category/dnsbook/

Besides PowerDNS, this book covers many many other interesting DNS products.
I recommend this book highly.

I do have to disclose that Jan-Piet sent me a complimentary copy of the
book, so I might be a bit biased.

RFC
---
For the past 2 years and 9 months or so, I've been working on an RFC that
describes measures DJBDNS and the PowerDNS Recursor have implemented for
many years. These measures, had they been followed widely, would have
prevented the famous 'Kaminsky' scare.

It was a near thing, but after all this time, today 'my' RFC has become
final and has been assigned a number: RFC 5452. Barring meteor strikes or
similar things, RFC 5452 will soon be published and distributed.

For more information, see
http://blog.netherlabs.nl/articles/2009/01/27/powerdns-2-9-22-released-rfc-5452-assigned

	Bert