[Pdns-dev] powerDNS resolving one domain but not another hosted on the same instance

Donald Knights donald at designknights.com
Tue Apr 17 14:02:54 CEST 2007

I am running power DNS version 2.9.20  SUSE Linux 10.1 and MySQL 5.0.18

My specific problem is that on my web server I have 2 sites hosted in a
VHOST setup. On ip address 66.93.230.35 and 66.93.230.136.

The first site (www.designknights.com) on 66.93.230.35 works fine.

The second site (www.edensidechristian.org) on 66.93.230.136 does not.

I recently migrated from BIND9 to power DNS because I wanted the MySQL
functionality.

In the MySQL database the A records are entered correctly, I checked
spelling and ip addresses several times.

If I dig www.edensidechristian.org I get the following output.

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> www.edensidechristian.org

;; global options:  printcmd

;; Got answer:

;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;www.edensidechristian.org.     IN           A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

www.edensidechristian.org. 86400 IN    A             66.93.230.136

;; Query time: 1 msec

;; SERVER: 66.93.230.128#53(66.93.230.128)

;; WHEN: Tue Apr 17 12:39:39 2007

;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 59

So everything looks fine. But when I do an nslookup for
www.edensidechristian.org on my ISP's recursive DNS server we get the
following.

So we call the ISP of course. They say their DNS was updated about 14 hours
ago and if my DNS server is operating normally that it should work fine.
However I used to work tech support for an ISP and don't really trust that
answer. So we consult the all knowing DNSstuff.com. DNSstuff.com says
everything pertaining to www.edensidechristian.org is just hunky dory. So my
question is this. How come when I put www.edensidechristian.org into a
browser I get a server not found error. Any insight as to what the problem
may be would be very much appreciated as I am about 1 "server not found"
error from going and renting a U-Haul filling it with 2 tons of dirt and
repeatedly running over my dns server. :/