[Pdns-announce] Introducing dnsdist: DNS, abuse- and DoS-aware query distribution for optimal performance

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Wed Mar 11 19:54:31 UTC 2015

Hi everybody,

We just posted the following on our blog:
http://blog.powerdns.com/2015/03/11/introducing-dnsdist-dns-abuse-and-dos-aware-query-distribution-for-optimal-performance/

Introducing dnsdist: DNS, abuse- and DoS-aware query distribution for
optimal performance

Over the years, PowerDNS users have frequently asked us about our preferred
DNS load balancing solution, and we’ve never had a satisfying answer for
that. Users of dedicated hardware often tell us that vendors spend most of
their time and effort on balancing HTTP, and frequently deliver substandard
or even buggy DNS functionality.

(...)
Putting these three things together (no really satisfying DNS aware load
balancer, drive for the very best performance, ongoing attacks) led us to
pollute the waters of the internet with yet another piece of software:
dnsdist.

>From its README:

“dnsdist is a highly DNS-, DoS- and abuse-aware loadbalancer. Its goal in
life is to route traffic to the best server, delivering top performance to
legitimate users while shunting or blocking abusive traffic.”

The full post is on:

http://blog.powerdns.com/2015/03/11/introducing-dnsdist-dns-abuse-and-dos-aware-query-distribution-for-optimal-performance/

Please let us know your thoughts!

	Bert