[Pdns-announce] Release coming up Monday or Tuesday, 'release candidate' ready
bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Mar 10 15:39:30 UTC 2006
I've just uploaded what should become 2.9.20, and am inviting everybody to
give it a spin. If nothing unexpected pops up, I'll rename this release to
2.9.20 with only minimal code changes, which I expect to happen this Monday
This release closes heaps of bugs, while adding the new OpenDBX backend and
improving performance. Please find the relase notes below.
Get the release candidate here:
If you find any problems, please let us know quickly! Tips for properly
reporting problems are at:
You can also file tickets at:
We're inclined to spend much more time on properly reported an ticketed
The release notes have been enhanced with links to all changes and tickets
closed, and are best viewed in html:
The release notes as text:
Besides adding OpenDBX, this release is mostly about fixing problems and
speeding up the recursor. This release has been made possible by XS4ALL
and True, thanks!
Bugs fixed in the recursor:
* Possible stability issues in the recursor on encountering errors
(commit 532, commit 533)
* Memory leaks in recursor fixed (commit 534, commit 572). In a test 800
million real life DNS packets have been sent to the recursor,
representing several days of traffic from a major ISP, memory use was
high (500MB), but stable.
* Prune all data in PowerDNS - previously per-nameserver and per-query
performance statistics were kept around forever (commit 535)
* IPv6 additional processing was broken. Reported by Lionel Elie Mamane,
who also provided a fix. The problem was fixed differently in the end.
* pdns_recursor did not shuffle answers since 2.9.19, leading to
problems sending mail to the Hotmail servers. Reported in ticket 54,
fixed in commit 567.
* If a single nameserver had multiple IP addresses listed, PowerDNS
would only use one of them. Noted by Mark Martin, fixed in commit 570,
who depends on a domain with 4 nameserver IP addresses of which 2 are
Improvements to the recursor:
* Commits 540, 541, 542, 543, 545, 547 and 548, 574 all speed up the
recursor by a large factor, without altering the DNS algorithm.
* commit 549 and commit 550 work around gcc bug 24704 if requested,
which speeds up the recursor a lot, but involves a dirty hack. Enable
with ./configure --enable-gcc-skip-locking. No guarantees!
Bugs fixed in the authoritative nameserver:
* PowerDNS would no longer allow a '/' in domain names, fixed by commit
537, reported in ticket 48.
* On some compilers, processing of NAPTR records could cause the server
to crash. Reported by Bernd Froemel in ticket 29, fixed in commit 538.
* Referrals were subtly broken by recent CNAME/Wildcard improvements,
fixed in commit 539. Fix and other improvements sponsored by True.
* PowerDNS would try to insert records it has no knowledge about in
slave zones, which did not work. Reported in ticket 60, fixed in
commit 566. A superior fix would be to implement the relevant unknown
Improvements to the authoritative nameserver:
* Pipebackend did not properly propagate the ABI version to its
children, fixed in commit 546, reported by kickdaddy at gmail.com in
* OpenDBX backend added (commit 559, commit 560, commit 561) by Norbert
Sendetzky. From the website: " The OpenDBX backend enables it to fetch
DNS information from every DBMS supported by the OpenDBX library and
combines the power of one of the best DNS server implementations with
the flexibility of the OpenDBX library. " OpenDBX adds some other
features like database failover. Thanks Norbert!
* LDAP fixes as reported in ticket 37, fixed in commit 558, which maked
pdns_control notify work.
* Arjo Hooimeijer added support for soa-refresh-default,
soa-retry-default, soa-expire-default, which were previously
hardcoded. commit 563 and fallout in commit 573 (thanks to Wolfram
* Fixes for g++ 4.1. Compiling with 4.1 realizes notable speedups.
commit 568, commit 569.
* PowerDNS now reports if it is running in 32 or 64 bit mode, useful for
bi-arch users that need to know if they are benefitting from their
great processor. commit 571.
* dnsscope compiles again, commit 551, commit 564 (FreeBSD 64-bit
* Build scripts were added, mostly for internal use but we know some
PowerDNS users build their own packages too. commit 553, commit 554,
commit 555, commit 556, commit 557.
* bootstrap script was not included in release. Thanks to Stefan Arentz
for noticing. Fixed in commit 574.
http://www.PowerDNS.com Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://netherlabs.nl Open and Closed source services
More information about the Pdns-announce