[Pdns-announce] PowerDNS Recursor 3.0.1 with important fixes released
bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Apr 25 15:43:56 UTC 2006
Released 25th of April 2006, download from:
HTML version of these notes, with clickable links is available on:
This release consists of nothing but tiny fixes to 3.0, including one with
security implications. An upgrade is highly recommended.
* Certain malformed packets could crash the recursor. As far as we can
determine these packets could only lead to a crash, but as always,
there are no guarantees. A quick upgrade is highly recommended
(commits 760, 761). Reported by David Gavarret.
* Compilation used both cc and gcc, leading to the possibility of
compiling with different compiler versions (commit 766).
* rec_control would leave files named lsockXXXXXX around in the
configured socket-dir. Operators may wish to remove these files from
their socket-dir (often /var/run), quite a few might have accumulated
already (commit 767).
* Recursor would not distinguish between NXDOMAIN and NXRRSET (commit
756). Reported and debugged by Jorn Ekkelenkamp.
* Some error messages and trace logging statements were improved
(commits 756, 758, 759).
* stderr was closed during daemonizing, but not dupped to /dev/null,
leading to slight chance of odd behaviour on reporting errors (commit
Operating system specific fixes:
* The stock Debian sarge Linux kernel, 2.6.8, claims to support epoll
but fails at runtime. The epoll self-testing code has been improved,
and PowerDNS will fall back to a select based multiplexer if needed
(commit 758) Reported by Michiel van Es.
* Solaris 8 compilation and runtime issues were addressed. See the
README for details (commit 765). Reported by Juergen Georgi and
* Solaris 10 x86_64 compilation issues were addressed (commit 755).
Reported and debugged by Eric Sproul.
http://www.PowerDNS.com Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://netherlabs.nl Open and Closed source services
More information about the Pdns-announce