[Pdns-announce] Feedback on the recursor 3.0 requested + 3.0.1

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Mon Apr 24 06:35:48 UTC 2006

Hi everybody,

Tomorrow the PowerDNS Recursor 3.0.1 will be released, with nothing but
fixes for real observed problems, including one stability problem.

If you are running 3.0, please let me know either privately or here, if you
are observing any problems or if things are ticking along well. Now is your
chance to report any issues!

Over the past week, and this will continue for one more week, I've been
giving private support to a number of larger deployments. Feel free to
make use of this (free) support if you are considering deploying or testing
the recursor. Normally free support is only available publicly on the
mailing lists.

Those interested in the inner workings of the Recursor may want to read
http://blog.netherlabs.nl/pages/pdns-recursor-design2

The list of fixes in 3.0.1-to-be so far:

   - The Debian Sarge 3.0r1 default kernel, 2.6.8, claims to support epoll
but in fact appears not to do so. The epoll multiplexer now does a better
job of testing itself at runtime, and falling back to select if needed
(discovered Michiel van Es and a few others)

   - No difference was made between NXDOMAIN and NXRRSET - probably not
very relevant, but a technical violation. This was a regression caused by an
earlier fix. No good deed goes unpunished (discovered by Jorn Ekkelenkamp)

   - Filedescriptors 0, 1 and 2 are closed when going to the background,
but I can't 100% guarantee there is no logging output to fd 2 during
operations. These descriptors are now dupped to /dev/zero (discovered in
cooperation with Eric Sproul)

   - Bad handling of malformed EDNS0 packets (reported, together with pcap
file exposing the problem, by David G)

   - Failed compilation on Solaris 10 i386, because Solaris decides to
#define DS, messing up our support of the DS record type (discovered by
Eric Sproul).

Thanks.