[dnsdist] [EXT] Re: Some statistics I would like to have

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Tue Jun 13 08:40:54 UTC 2023

On 13/06/2023 10:34, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> Ah, yes, thanks. But the numbers are disconcerting. I see twice as
> much queries per connection with IPv4 than IPv6, but only for DoT. For
> DoH, it is the opposite. This may be simply because it is a small
> resolver so the numbers are not statistically significant.

Interesting, it would be nice to know if large resolvers are also seeing
very different numbers. I'll ask around.

>> But more importantly, dnsdist forwards queries received over DoH using UDP,
>> while queries received over DoT are forwarded over TCP, unless the backend
>> has been configured as TCP-only, DoT or DoH.
>
> Which is the case, no?
>
> newServer({address="[::1]:853", name="Local-Unbound", tls="openssl", subjectName="dot-backend.bortzmeyer.fr", validateCertificates=true, useClientSubnet=false, maxInFlight=1024})

Indeed, so queries received over DoT and DoH are forwarded in the same
way. I wonder why the latency numbers are so different. Perhaps we are
seeing different query patterns between DoT and DoH clients?