[dnsdist] Some statistics I would like to have

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Jun 13 08:34:25 UTC 2023

On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 10:23:26AM +0200,
 Remi Gacogne via dnsdist <dnsdist at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote
 a message of 85 lines which said:

> You should be able to find what you are looking for in the output of
> "showTCPStats()".

Ah, yes, thanks. But the numbers are disconcerting. I see twice as
much queries per connection with IPv4 than IPv6, but only for DoT. For
DoH, it is the opposite. This may be simply because it is a small
resolver so the numbers are not statistically significant.

> But more importantly, dnsdist forwards queries received over DoH using UDP,
> while queries received over DoT are forwarded over TCP, unless the backend
> has been configured as TCP-only, DoT or DoH.

Which is the case, no?

newServer({address="[::1]:853", name="Local-Unbound", tls="openssl", subjectName="dot-backend.bortzmeyer.fr", validateCertificates=true, useClientSubnet=false, maxInFlight=1024})