[dnsdist] anycast and TCP

Lucas Rolff lucas at lucasrolff.com
Sun Apr 2 07:15:37 UTC 2023

That's not correct, if that was the case, TCP applications in general would not work in anycast setups, which obviously isn't the case.

It's correct that if you'd end up getting rerouted all of a sudden, it would trigger a reset, but the application would (likely) still succeed after establishing the TCP connection again.

Running DNS (and accepting TCP queries) in an anycasted setup is rather common :) I run a few of such setups.

On 2 Apr 2023, at 14:08, Marco Mangione <marco.mangione at gmail.com> wrote:

becouse of split path routing, there are 2 or more anycast node and network load balancing causes packet transmitted to the anycast address to alternate between those nodes

Il giorno dom 2 apr 2023 alle ore 08:59 Lucas Rolff <lucas at lucasrolff.com<mailto:lucas at lucasrolff.com>> ha scritto:
> Because if traffic is forced on TCP, for example with a TC=1, not everything could work correctly.

Why not?