[dnsdist] Proxy protocol question

Adrian Kägi aka at nts.ch
Sat Apr 2 12:36:14 UTC 2022

Hi List
I am quite new to dnsdist, and i hope my question is not odd!
Setup: dnsdist (v1.7 - Frontend) -- UDP 5353 ---> pDNS Auth (v4.7 - Backend)
... i would say simple...

I like to add the "Proxy Protocol" header to all Requests towards pDNS Backend Server.

Theese are my "newServer" statements:
newServer({address="pdns_auth_IPv4:5353", name="nsa-1_v4", pool="sec", useProxyProtocol=True})
newServer({address="[pdns_auth_IPv6]:5353", name="nsa-sec1_v6", pool="sec", useProxyProtocol=True})

dig is working, and i get the correct DNS answer.

Now i would assume, when i run a tcpdump on the pDNS Auth Server on port 5353, the UDP Pakets should contain a Proxy header?!
But there is nothing like this in wireshark. ... of course i can provide some packet dump details if needed!

Did i missed something in my config? - which is really native - ACLs, new server statement, and a addAction("example.com",PoolAction("sec"))
Of course, there are settings to do on pDNS side, but a incoming UDP reqest on the pDNS Auth server should contain at least the Proxyheader. - so my guess

Thank you very much for your answer and input!
BR A