[dnsdist] CPU Usage Dnsdist

frank+pdns at tembo.be frank+pdns at tembo.be
Wed Mar 24 18:37:08 UTC 2021

Hi,

> On 24 Mar 2021, at 18:35, SAMI RAHAL via dnsdist <dnsdist at mailman.powerdns.com <mailto:dnsdist at mailman.powerdns.com>> wrote:
>
> Average response time: 4.35 ms, CPU Usage: 750.60%, Cache hitrate: 93.45%, Server selection policy: leastOutstanding
> I ask are these values in the norms?
> my config:
> OS: CentOS 7
> -RAM 16 G
> -grep -c ^ processor / proc / cpuinfo
> 16
> -RAM used:
> 949 M

You would increase the cache size, as you're only using about 1GB of ram and have 16GB available. You also have 16 (v)cpus, but the CPU usage is under 800%. If I am not mistake, the CPU usage reported by dnsdist is "% of full utilisation of 1 cpu", so it should theoretically go up to 1600%.

If you do want to reduce the CPU usage, you might want to experiment with simplifying your lua rules and see if that improves or not.

Kind Regards,

Frank

Frank Louwers
PowerDNS Certified Consultant @ Kiwazo.be