[dnsdist] rcode refused query direction

Nemanja Zeljkovic nocturo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 16:57:34 UTC 2019

Hello,

I’m trying to direct queries based on the response from the “default”
server. Basically what I’m trying to accomplish is if this server doesn’t
know about this domain, try a second one. By default  that would be
checking for dnsdist.REFUSED since it would be trying to recurse, and the
NSs are configured not to recurse. I have one default server
with leastOutstanding, and one server in a pool which would be used as the
second one.

I assumed something simple as:
addAction(RCodeRule(dnsdist.REFUSED), PoolAction("ph”))

and it didn’t complain:
> showRules()
#     Matches Rule
Action
0           0 rcode==Query Refused                                     to
pool ph

would redirect the query to pool “ph”, but all I see is queries are
executed on the main NS (counter keeps increasing), and I get a REFUSED
back which would also mean it never contacted server in pool “ph” since it
knows about the domain.

Am I asking too much from dnsdist, or have wrong expectations with
addAction?

Thanks!
Nemanja