[dnsdist] DNS DIST Drops Problems

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Tue Nov 26 09:23:00 UTC 2019

Hi Frank,

On 11/25/19 5:34 PM, Lichtnau Frank wrote:
> I have a problems with drops.
>
> I use 3 pools:
>
> 1.       For internal windows-domain (3 win-ad-dns)
> 2.       For internal linuxdomain ( 2 linx-dns-server)
> 3.       For external dns-calls ( firewall )
>
> Sometimes, it is not replicable when, the drop-count for external
> dns-calls starts to grow up and from this time no dns-call from clients
> get an answer.

Are the drops on all pools or just one pool?

> I can stop this behavior only by restarting dnsdist.

That could indicate an issue on the machine running dnsdist.

> os:                          debian buster
>
> dnsdist:                1.3.3 ( from debian distribution)
>
> How can I discover the problems. I don’t find any infos in syslog

I can recommend looking in the journal (journalctl -u dnsdist.service -n
40) and using the `grepq` and `topSlow` commands in the dnsdist
console[1] and setting setVerboseHealthChecks to true in your config so
dnsdist logs when a backend server goes down.

1- https://dnsdist.org/reference/config.html#grepq

--
Pieter Lexis
PowerDNS.COM BV -- https://www.powerdns.com