[dnsdist] Burst in MaxQPSIPRule()

Jacob Bunk Nielsen jbn at one.com
Mon Jul 22 07:25:09 UTC 2019

Hi

I've been reading up on the documentation for MaxQPSIPRule() which you
can use to implement rate limits on DNS queries. A very nice feature.

It has a burst option which will allow clients to have bursts of
queries, but it's not very clear to me exactly what it means. The
documentation says:

"*burst*(/int/) – The number of burstable queries per second allowed.
Default is same as qps"

So let's say I create a rule like:

addAction(MaxQPSIPRule(5, 32, 64, 10), DelayAction(100))

This should delay any queries that exceed 5 per second with a burst of
10 allowed.

For how long will the client from a single IPv4 address (/32) be able to
run 10 queries per second without being delayed? Or in other words, if
the client issues 20 queries per second for a period, let's say 10
seconds, for how many seconds will the client be able to get 10 queries
per second without delay? Just 1 second?

Best regards,

Jacob