[dnsdist] dnsdist performance

Sat Aug 10 20:30:23 UTC 2019

Am 08.08.2019 um 10:20 schrieb Gentian Bajraktari:
> Dear Dnsdist community,
>
> we are trying to setup dnsdist as a loadbalancer for 2 bind recursive
> cache only servers,
>
> we have done a very simple setup:
> addLocal("DNSDIST_IP")
> newServer({address="BIND_IP1"})
> newServer({address=" BIND_IP2"})
> setServerPolicy(roundrobin)
>
> but when we test with resperf (from dnsperf tool), the results are very
> bad for DNSDIST, around 5-15K QPS , while when we test directly to one
> of BIND ip addresses the QPS goes up to 50-60Qps.
>
> we have tried both rpm install of dnsdist, compiling from source and
> even comiling the concur version but all with similar results, ie when
> resperf tests go through dnsdist the results are much lower in terms of qps.
>
> OS is Centos7 in all servers, tweaked all settings for file limits, udp
> connections etc.
>
> any thoughts on what we can do? maybe resperf is not the tool to test
> this? do you have some suggetions on how we can test and make sure we
> are doing the right thing?

I had similar results. Starting 4 listening threads and 4 receivers
threads (by adding the same backend 4 times) boosted my performance -
almost linear.

If it still does not work your should post your config (and first test
without any rules to avoid performance issues because of rules)

regards
Klaus