[dnsdist] dnsdist performance

Gentian Bajraktari voipstar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 16:08:49 UTC 2019

Hi Remi,

yes all servers are on VMware, 8 cpu, 8G Ram. OS is Centos ( Linux release
7.6.1810 (Core) 3.10.0-957.27.2.el7.x86_64)

have disabled selinux and all firewall/iptables,

performance on Bind (BIND 9.14.4 (Stable Release)) directly  is 50-60K QPS
sorry for the typo,

i have tried setMaxUDPOutstanding(65535) as well

as well as i added 8 Local server using reusePort=true ( and also confirmed
with netstat -ln there were 8 running threads)

i also added 8 new servers with combination of both BIND servers or only 1
server. tried different Server policies, leastoutstanding/roundrobin etc.

For the dnsdist version these are 3 versions i have tried ( i have them all
on same machine, playing with systemd service file on which one to activate)

Compiled concur version:
 /usr/local/dnsdist/bin/dnsdist -V
dnsdist 0.0.dnsdistconcur.g (Lua 5.1.4)
Enabled features: systemd

Repo version from centos/epel:
/usr/bin/dnsdist -V
dnsdist 1.3.3 (Lua 5.1.4 [LuaJIT 2.0.4])
Enabled features: dns-over-tls(openssl) dnscrypt libsodium protobuf
recvmmsg/sendmmsg systemd

Compiled main master version:
/usr/local/bin/dnsdist -V
dnsdist 0.0.17315.0.master.g32ffe8cde3 (Lua 5.1.4)
Enabled features: ipcipher recvmmsg/sendmmsg snmp

I also tried having BIND and DNSDIST on same machine ( listening different
interfaces) and also on separate machines,
but no much effect. in all cases Dnsdist has very low QPS compared to
directly testing Bind.

some tweaks, besides removing any security/firewall:

 sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.all.forwarding=1
 sysctl -w net.core.rmem_max=33554432
 sysctl -w net.core.wmem_max=33554432
 sysctl -w net.core.rmem_default=16777216
sysctl -w net.core.wmem_default=16777216
ulimit -n 16000
fs.file-max = 70000

more /etc/security/limits.conf | grep dnsdist
dnsdist soft nofile 65535
dnsdist soft nofile 65535

thanks