[dnsdist] dnsdist 1.4 and Debian Buster

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Wed Aug 7 09:57:01 UTC 2019

Hi Chris,

On 8/7/19 11:39 AM, Chris wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone else has had the same issue? If the
> configuration I am using would be useful I can upload a copy of that.

Thanks for reporting this. As far as I can remember it's the first time
I hear about this kind of issue. Stracing (strace -f -p <pid of
dnsdist>) the process for a few seconds when the problem occurs might be
a good start, attaching a debugger (gdb -p <pid of dnsdist>) then
getting a backtrace of all threads (thread apply all bt full) would be
even better.

Would you also be able to check whether you have some metrics still
increasing when the problem arises using the console and 'showBinds()',
'showServers()' and 'dumpStats()'?

It's not clear to me from your message whether going back to 1.3.x fixes
the issue, could you clarify that?

The only related issue I can think of involves the network environment
being altered under dnsdist's feet, see [1].

[1]: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/4853