[dnsdist] dnsdist - choosing CPU for a new server

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Thu May 3 11:29:33 UTC 2018

Hi Aleš,

On 05/03/2018 07:43 AM, Aleš Rygl wrote:
> It looks like that even in these days when everything is running in a
> virtual environment I will get a new physical hardware (!) for dnsdist
> servers. So I would have a question related to CPU selection. Is it
> better to have rather more CPU cores or less cores with running on
> higher frequency?

I would advise going with the higher frequency. We did improve dnsdist's
scalability a lot in 1.3.0, but there are still some contention points
so there is a cost to be paid when you increase the number of threads.
This is especially true if you use Lua policies or rules, but also holds
when you don't, to a lesser extent.

Kind regards,