[dnsdist] dnsdist kernel loadbalancing

Denomica denomica at gmx.net
Tue Aug 14 16:27:26 UTC 2018

Hello,

I did some research on dnsdist vs. ipvs/relayd.

It turns out, that - as you probably know - dnsdist is a very nice
product. :)

However, the advantage of solutions like ipvs/relayd seems to be the
distribution/balancing on L4 taking place in Kernel.

This is obviously faster, than balancing in userspace.

Dnsdist has eBPF support, but it seems to be limited to rate liming and
handling abusive load.

Based on this, I have several questions:

Is my assumption correct, that loadbalancing takes place on L7 in
userspace? Could you maybe point me to the according code?

Would it be theoretically possible to implement the load balancing on L4
(e.g. using ebpf)?

(Not talking about complexity or effort. But would it be doable from a
design point of view, or would it generally be a bad idea for some reasons?)

kind regards, Denomica