[dnsdist] dnsdist single point of failure

longtb5 at viettel.com.vn longtb5 at viettel.com.vn
Mon Oct 16 04:08:29 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm new to the DNS world so forgive me if my questions are too trivial or
out of dnsdist scope.

Say I have 2 geographically separated backend servers that I wanted to load
balance on. At each location there is a DNS server that has some cross-check
health monitoring mechanism for both backends. The reason for the two DNS
servers is to eliminate the single point of failure problem, with my
original idea to delegate the FQDN to those two instances.

Now I want to use dnsdist to distribute DNS request onto those 2 DNS
servers. Wouldn't that make dnsdist the new SPoF?

Thanks,

-BL