[dnsdist] showConfig()?

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Fri Oct 6 17:19:24 UTC 2017

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 04:12:51PM +0000, Summers, William wrote:
> I'm testing dnsdist in preproduction, and I am really impressed, thank you for all the work.

Thank you!

> I'm wondering if there is a showConfig()  style command- similar to a
> network device that will dump the current operating configuration of
> dnsdist.  Seems especially useful to get a global view of operations
> especially since they may differ from the config file.

Yes, this would indeed be super useful. It also was somewhat of a design
goal for dnsdist to have this capability, but eventually we had to give up
on it.

Your very good question actually asks for 'configuration serialization',
which is tricky given how dynamic you can make dnsdist. For example, if you
define a Lua function, we can't "get" that Lua function out of Lua anymore.
It has been compiled.

Interestingly, on https://kolmo.org/ and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb4X-Jjd1yw you can find thoughts on how we
could improve this, but we are not there yet.

> ?Is there a way to run showServers() at initial console login?

Perhaps we could emulate this limited serialization capability. But for now,
try delta(). It may do what you want.

	Bert