[dnsdist] customize keepalive check timing?

Frank Even lists+powerdns.com at elitists.org
Wed May 3 02:44:13 UTC 2017

I'm curious if it's possible to customize the checkName check timing?  It
seems like it checks the A record configured every second.  I'm wondering
if it's possible to tune that down in any way, so I could maybe have it
query once every 3 seconds?  Also I'm operating under the assumption that
"maxCheckFailures" means that when a system fails the check for the
configured number of times (5 in my case), then it marks that system as
"down" and removes it from service.  Is this correct?  On some quick
testing it seems like dnsdist marks systems down as soon as it gets a
failed response (meaning I'm not sure maxCheckFailures works correctly or
I'm misinterpreting, or I'm really that slow checking the state after
disabling the other server....).  Any guidance would be appreciated,
thanks!

Frank

newServer({address="dnslocalip1>", weight=0, checkType="A", checkName="
example.com.", maxCheckFailures=5, mustResolve=true})
newServer({address="dnslocalip2", weight=0, checkType="A", checkName="
example.com.", maxCheckFailures=5, mustResolve=true})
newServer({address="dnslocalip3", weight=0, checkType="A", checkName="
example.com.", maxCheckFailures=5, mustResolve=true})
newServer({address="dnslocalip4", weight=0, checkType="A", checkName="
example.int.godaddy.com.", maxCheckFailures=5, mustResolve=true})
--
newServer({address="remoteip1", checkType="A", checkName="example.com.",
maxCheckFailures=5, mustResolve=true})