[dnsdist] leastOutstanding - With priority

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Thu Jan 5 14:15:51 UTC 2017

Hi Chris,

On 01/05/2017 09:46 AM, Chris wrote:
> - Is it possible to direct all queries to a different pool if there are
> no available servers in another pool? Keep in mind I cannot use a
> default pool as I direct queries to the appropriate pool based on the
> destination address (so that I only have to run a single instance of
> dnsdist for my various recursor/authoratative servers).

Not at the moment.

> - Is it possible to tweak the load balancing policy to take the order
> into account to do this instead?
>
> I had a play with the lua scripting but couldn't find a way to keep both
> the leastOutstanding policy + failover working.

You should be able to write a custom load-balancing policy in Lua quite
easily, the Lua policy function gets the list of servers in the selected
pool, and from the server object you can get its status (up or down),
order and weight. You can easily select all the available servers of
order 1 and pick one at random. If there is no such server available,
pick one of order 10.