[dnsdist] Rules and Whitelisting

Alejandro Adroher Mellado alejandro.adroher at omniaccess.com
Wed Jun 29 07:20:31 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I’m dealing to the whitelisting using LUA in this way.
newserver (….)
….
whitelisted = newNMG()
whitelisted:addMask("xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx ")
whitelisted:addMask("xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx ")
whitelisted:addMask("xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx")
function maintenance()
    toBlock = exceedQRate(300, 10)
    for k, v in pairs(toBlock) do
        if (whitelisted:match(k))
        then
            toBlock[k] = nil
        end
    end
    addDynBlocks(toBlock, "Exceeded query rate", 60)
end

So, my whitelisted IPS are protected to be blocked from dynamic block.
In the other side, I have a script which automatically add rules to dnsdist to forward queries from domains which respond with SERVFAIL, to the abuse pool.

Now, I’m looking for how to prevent that those rules do not affect the queries coming from these whitelisted IPs.

Maybe there is a better way to whitelist IPs.

Has anyone any knowledge about this stuff?

Dnsdist version : 1.0.0-1pdns.trusty

Thanks a lot.