[dnsdist] addAnyTCRule() explenation

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne+dnsdist at powerdns.com
Thu Feb 11 08:32:20 UTC 2016

Hi Federico,

On 02/11/2016 12:24 AM, Federico Olivieri wrote:
> However is not clear to me if I have and UDP ANY request (and in case of
> DDoS attack, more then one!)  why I should reply back to use TCP. How
> can this mitigate a potential DDoS attack based on ANY queries?

It prevents you from being used as an amplification source for a DDOS
(if the source address is spoofed) because the answer is not larger than
the query, while letting legitimate clients retry over TCP and then
getting a valid response.

If you prefer so, you can drop all ANY queries with:

addAction(QTypeRule(dnsdist.ANY), DropAction())