[dnsdist] Difference in stat between pdns and dnsdist

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne+dnsdist at powerdns.com
Thu Apr 28 12:49:46 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 04/28/2016 09:56 AM, dims wrote:

> In pdns queries and response the same (maybe 1-5 pps difference)
> In dnsdist difference is big
> queries                       179148

The "queries" counter in dnsdist is incremented as soon as a query is
received (except if it's forbidden by the ACL, then only the "ACL drops"
counter is incremented), but the query can be discarded before being
sent to a backend for various reason.

Normally you should have roughly:

queries = non-compliant-queries + empty-queries + dyn-blocked +
block-filter + rule-drop + rule-nxdomain + self-answered + cache-hits +
no-policy + downstream-timeout + downstream-send-errors +
noncompliant-responses + responses

Otherwise we might have a bug in our counters :)

> Whose statistics more correct?

The difference could be caused by some queries being send directly to
pdns, for example by your monitoring. The internal health checks of
dnsdist already sends one qps to each backend, for example, that is seen
by pdns but not by dnsdist.

--

Remi