[Powermail-users] URGENT need help

Dominique Feyer dfeyer at net4all.ch
Mon Sep 15 18:56:17 CEST 2003

If I put the local domain on the file /etc/mail/local-host-names
 sendmail does not return the MX loopback error. In this case it store
the mail in /var/spool/mail (in mbox format).

When I remove the domain in local-host-names, sendmail return the MX
loopback error. Sendmail is in standart configuration from the RPM of
the redhat 7.3.

pplistener, powersmtp and powerpop return status OK all the port are
open and the client can send (SMTP) and read email (POP) without any
problem.

With my knowledge, I think that sendmail check the dns (if the domain is
not in local-host-names) and send the mail to the port 25 on the MX
record via SMTP.

nmap on localhost return this :

Interesting ports on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1):
(The 1544 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
21/tcp     open        ftp
25/tcp     open        smtp
49/tcp     open        tacacs
53/tcp     open        domain
80/tcp     open        http
110/tcp    open        pop-3
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
953/tcp    open        rndc
3306/tcp   open        mysql
10000/tcp  open        snet-sensor-mgmt

The port 25 is open (powersmtp)

Sendmail service are not running because we use only to binary to send
mail.

If you need more information, I can send you some configuration files.

Thanks for your help.

I'm don't like sendmail because it's very hard the configure it. The
documentation are very hard to read as well. Powermail is very simple to
configure. I like this. And it's very stable and easy to learn.

--
Net4all
Dominique Feyer
dfeyer at net4all.ch