[Pdns-users] URL redirect with PDNS Authoritative

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at powerdns.com
Fri Jan 12 09:25:25 UTC 2024

On Fri, 2024-01-12 at 09:42 +0100, Andrea Biancalani via Pdns-users
wrote:
>  is there any way to set a record in PDNS authoritative server that
> allow web URL redirect?

Not really.

>  Example: example.com IN WR https://example.net/subpage/...
>
>  Reading official documentation, WR record type seems not to be
> supported actually and URI is not intended for this purposes.
>
>  Exist any way to not have an external webservice to answer queries and
> redirect with 301 traffic? Any lua scripting code out there?

A long time ago, PowerDNS had 30% of this feature - I think we called it
'URL' and not 'WR' back then. If PowerDNS saw that record, it would serve
a static A record from the config. Then, you still needed an external
webservice to take the requests and look inside the PowerDNS database to
generate 301s.

There is no suitable webserver -inside- PowerDNS for generating
redirects; CloudNS also has to run a name server -and- a web server to
provide this feature.

If you want to build this feature, and keep all data in one place (the
PowerDNS database), you could use disabled=1 records with some convenient
type (TXT, URI, etc.) that your webservice can look up. You'd still need
to provide A/AAAA records, or perhaps a CNAME or ALIAS to manage the IP
of your webservice in one place.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk