[Pdns-users] Reset Data on Slave

Klaus Darilion klaus.darilion at nic.at
Tue Jan 9 21:46:17 UTC 2024

Hi Sebastian!

The term "cached data" usually does not refer to the data in the database, but to data cached in the PDNS process (packet cache, query cache).

If you want to clean the "cache" the fastest method is to restart the PDNS process (a short service interruption). To adjust caching timeouts see https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/settings.html and grep for "ttl".

You do not mention how to replicate the data to your 2 slaves:
a) Using DNS zone transfers (AXFR), or
b) MySQL replication

If you use a) the you could just force a zone transfer on the slave with "pdns_control retrieve <zone-name>".
If you use b) there actually should not be any needs to do that manually, the MySQL replication will take care that everything is consistent. But if for whatever reason the data on the Slave DB is out of sync, you have to delete the data on the Slave DB an re-sync from the master. How this is done depends on the type of replication you are using - refer to the MySQL manual. But be aware: When you delete the data in the slave DB and resync, this will cause service interruptions on the Slave, and even worse the slave may return wrong data.

Regards
Klaus