[Pdns-users] QNAME minimization support

Otto Moerbeek otto at drijf.net
Sat Feb 10 10:19:41 UTC 2024

On Sat, Feb 10, 2024 at 10:41:12AM +0100, Otto Moerbeek via Pdns-users wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 09, 2024 at 08:39:16PM -0800, Ask Bjørn Hansen via Pdns-users wrote:
>

> > > On Feb 9, 2024, at 14:30, Jason Tremblett via Pdns-users <pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > When querying with QNAME minimization on strict, the authoritative server is queried for entry.sample.zone and returns NXDOMAIN.  This causes the query to fail.
> >
> > That’s going to cause problems without QNAME minification, too.
> >
> > I think the database backend requires you to add rows with empty non terminals for this.
>
> Likely the zone is not rectified.
>
> 	pdnsutil rectify-zone ZONE
> or
>
> 	pdnsutil rectify-all-zones

To elaborate a bit: PowerDNS Authoritative Server certainly supports
resolvers that do strict query minimization, but only if the data in
the zone it right.  Rectifying includes adding records for empty
non-terminals in the appropriate places, so that a proper empty
NOERROR (aka NODATA) is returned if there are child records.

After editing a zone, a rectify is needd. When using the API that is
taken care of by default (on a reasoably modern version). But not if
you edit the DB by hand.

	-Otto