[Pdns-users] QNAME minimization support

Jason Tremblett jtremblett at proofpoint.com
Fri Feb 9 22:29:56 UTC 2024

Hi @all,

I am using PowerDNS Authoritative server with the postgresql backend.  I am curious if there are any plans on the server side to support QNAME minimization.

Example Zone:

$TTL 86400

sample.zone. IN SOA sample.zone. root.sample.zone. (
  2024020801     ; serial = YYYYMMDDxx xx=iteration
  3600   ;refresh
  1800   ;retry
  604800 ;expire
  600    ;ttl
);

                    IN NS  ns1.sample.com.
                    IN NS  ns2.sample.com.

some.multi.level.entry 3600 IN A 127.0.0.1

When querying with QNAME minimization on strict, the authoritative server is queried for entry.sample.zone and returns NXDOMAIN.  This causes the query to fail.  From my understanding, if the server returned NODATA instead the query should continue with level.entry.sample.zone (and so on) until the proper target is reached.

This does allow fall backs in some implementations, but it seems when DNSSEC is enabled on a zone it will not fall back with some resolvers (unbound is a good example).

Thanks!

Jason