[Pdns-users] Recursor - custom TTL for particular domain

Xan Charbonnet xan at charbonnet.com
Thu Sep 14 14:26:55 UTC 2023

Hello all,

I'm setting up an instance of the PowerDNS Recursor.  I would like to
override the TTL for particular queries of particular domains: I need
any CNAME from one particular domain to have an overridden, very low TTL.

I wrote a Lua script which does this via "postresolve", however, it only
works halfway.  It succeeds in getting clients to see the low TTL.  But
what I also need is for the Recursor to honor this lower TTL when it
decides whether or not to check for updates.

I've experimented with "preresolve" but I don't seem to be finding any
way to modify the returned query, as that executes before the query
takes place.  And nothing I do in "postresolve" affects the Recursor's
/internal/ opinion of the TTL.  Basically, preresolve is too early and
postresolve is too late.

If anyone can think of a way to get the Recursor to behave this way, I
would appreciate it.  Thanks.

-Xan