[Pdns-users] Recursor Cache Sizing: Is more always better?

Christoph cm at appliedprivacy.net
Sat Sep 9 07:15:04 UTC 2023

Hi,

if you have 20 or 100 GB of free RAM
what is a good approach to choose the different Recursor's cache sizes?

Is larger always better or is there a sweet spot
between cache size, cache lookup time, cache management overhead and CPU
usage? How does upstream latency fit into the equation?

In our case we consider caching and prefetching also an important
privacy property to decouple inbound and outbound queries to some extend.

We have different kinds of setups:
- fully recursive resolvers
- forwarding resolvers (~12ms upstream latency)

best regards,
Christoph