[Pdns-users] multi dns server

Andreas Danzer andreas at danzer.org
Mon Oct 23 07:59:51 UTC 2023

Hello Steffan,

that kind of attack is quite common these days. I would recommend
putting your authoriative nameservers behind dnsdist. Dnsdist acts as a
DNS firewall, proxy and loadbalancer.

We're running some rulesets on dnsdist, that e.g. dynamically block IPs
that "produce" unusual high numbers of NXDOMAIN answers with their
queries (which is usually the case with IPs taking part in PRSD
attacks). You can also limit the number of queries per IP or loadbalance
queries to more than one backend DNS node. dnsdist is extreme powerfull
and versatile and the perfect tool to protect your DNS nodes.

To be able to see, which domains are actually attacked, you should not
use pdns query logging - it has a big performance impact which makes the
situation even worse during an attack. Better use some traffic
capturing/sampling tools like pktvisor. It feeds data about the dns
queries to prometheus, which can be visualized with grafana. You can use
that same setup (prometheus & grafana) to monitor your dndist and pdns
installations.