[Pdns-users] pdns stop responding and restarted himself

Jacob Bunk Nielsen jacob at bunknielsen.dk
Fri Oct 20 14:39:52 UTC 2023

Steffan via Pdns-users <pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com> writes:

> Yesterday both dns servers stopped responding for 3 minutes.
>
> In the periode of 3 minutes I see a lot of lines for the same domain.
>
> Pdns that was restared by it self and again the fluid of this domain…

It appears from other messages that you experienced an attack. These are
fairly common, so you should make a plan for dealing with them.

Logging of queries is expensive, consider turning those off.

Consider tuning your PowerDNS instance according to the hardware it runs
on. Look at the reuseport option and the thread options.

It probably restarted because you hit max-queue-length, causing PowerDNS
to give up and respawn.

Best regards,
Jacob