[Pdns-users] multi dns server

Victor Hugo dos Santos listas.vhs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 13:45:27 UTC 2023

Hello there,

The quantity of the domain, not necessarily reflect the quantity of
queries/load.
you can have 5.000 domains with 1.000 QPS or you can have 1 domain
with  15.000 QPS !! :-)

Anyway, you should monitor your servers and see if this issue is some
kind of "normal" stuff or some kind of problem (attack, data leak,
misconfiguration, etc). When you detect the problem, then you can
decide what to do.

About NS3, NS4, it is a totally valid option, not only to balance the
queries between servers, but to improve your HA too !!! Nevertheless,
you still need to detect where the problem is, if not, you are only
going to spend time with the new NS server but the problem will still
occur.

Let us know what you find.

Good luck

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 at 12:01, Steffan via Pdns-users
<pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> 2 days ago my 2 dns servers has 150mbit of data to process and the dns went down.
> After the flood was stopped it came up again.
>

> Im using pdns 4.8.3 on centos with mysql backends
>

> I just wondering what will the best idee to spread the risk
>
> It is handling about 5000 domains so not a very big system.
>
> is it better to use a ns3, ns4 to spread the loads on multi servers
> Or some kind of load balancing or multi ip setup on ns1 and ns2 on multi servers
>

> Any other idees are welcome
>

> With regard
>

> Steffan

Victor Hugo dos Santos