[Pdns-users] DoT for recursor

Otto Moerbeek otto at drijf.net
Tue May 9 12:47:34 UTC 2023

On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 01:34:51PM +0100, Djerk Geurts via Pdns-users wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Had a look and the only thing I could find is that DoT apparently is enabled when configuring PowerDNS-recursor with specific upstream servers on port 853.
>
> Being relatively new to DoT and DoH I’m trying to work out why I can’t configure the recursor to listen to port 853 without configuring a specific forwarder. It looks like this is possible for dnsdist, so why not recursor, or am I missing something?

Recursor 4.8 has a way to discover if an auth supports DoT. See
https://blog.powerdns.com/2022/06/13/probing-dot-support-of-authoritative-servers-just-try-it/

Recursor has no incoming DoT or DoH, because it is easy to use dnsdist
in front of Recursor for that.  So there is little incentive to add
that functionality to the Recursor itself.

	-Otto