[Pdns-users] Rcode 3 NXDOMAIN for existing CNAME

Christoph cm at appliedprivacy.net
Sun Mar 26 09:58:53 UTC 2023

Hi Peter Thomassen,

>> Since this is the background of the DNS query I find your suggestion a
>> valid solution for the problem that lego could implement.
>
> I agree! Thanks for clearing this up, I was on the wrong track about
> what the goal of that query was.

I looked at the pcap again - the one you also have -
and it turns out that lego already asks for a CNAME - not TXT - record
and the answer is NXDOMAIN..

-------------
Domain Name System (response)
     Transaction ID: 0xc277
     Flags: 0x8183 Standard query response, No such name
     Questions: 1
     Answer RRs: 1
     Authority RRs: 1
     Additional RRs: 1
     Queries
         _acme-challenge.bender-doh.applied-privacy.net: type CNAME,<<<<
class IN
             Name: _acme-challenge.bender-doh.applied-privacy.net
             [Name Length: 46]
             [Label Count: 4]
             Type: CNAME (Canonical NAME for an alias) (5)
             Class: IN (0x0001)
     Answers
         _acme-challenge.bender-doh.applied-privacy.net: type CNAME,
class IN, cname bender-doh.acme-dns-challenge.applied-privacy.net
             Name: _acme-challenge.bender-doh.applied-privacy.net
             Type: CNAME (Canonical NAME for an alias) (5)
             Class: IN (0x0001)
             Time to live: 86400 (1 day)
             Data length: 32
             CNAME: bender-doh.acme-dns-challenge.applied-privacy.net
     Authoritative nameservers
     Additional records

so now I suspect the recursive resolver (not pdns)
does something unexpected but I have to analyze
all recursive resolver DNS traffic before making
further conclusions.

thanks!
Christoph